This post was supposed to be up in February, but never published, whoops! So here’s a look at where I was in February:
One month into the New Year! It was a crazy month for me. I moved from San Francisco to Portland, into my first real apartment and started a new job. Needless to say, it’s been hectic, but its an exciting time for me. Portland is still so new and it’s a change, I’m constantly lost and have no idea where anything is! But it’s been a lot of fun. I’m excited to continue to explore this new city and see everything it has to offer.
I’ve made a little progress on my list so far. I’ve tried quite a few new restaurants in Portland. I went with my new coworkers to a place called Boke Bowl for lunch. It’s a ramen place and WOW have I been missing out. I’d never had real ramen before and I can say I’m now officially hooked. I had the one with slow roasted pork and a poached egg—so delicious. I’ve been to a few other new places, so I’m making progress on this goal (not that it’s necessarily hard, I love trying new places and most places are new to me).
I think it’s also safe to say I’m on my way to becoming a regular at the coffee shop near my office. The company has a tab there, which is great, but it’s also just delicious coffee. I’m not exactly an expert on coffee, but I can practically drink their house coffee black its so good.
I have also managed to go a month without taking a taxi/Uber, but to be fair Portland doesn’t have Uber so it’s pretty easy to avoid taking it. I may try another month of this once Uber launches in Portland (supposed to happen in March/April!!).
That’s basically what’s been going on for me! I’m starting to feel more settled here and it’ll be nice when I get to a point where I’m not constantly lost.
This year, instead of coming up with resolutions (which I would inevitably break…) I was inspired to create a list of 101 things to accomplish in 1001 days. I originally got the idea from a blog called Design Darling and it inspired me to create my own and chronicle the progress here! So below is my list of 101 in 1001.
Start Date: January 1, 2015
End Date: September 28, 2017
- Reconnect with my favorite high school teacher.
- Go one month without sweets.
- Go one month without any junk food.
- Go one month without ordering takeout.
- Go one month without shopping.
- Go one month without taking a taxi/Uber etc.
- Volunteer for a cause I’m passionate about.
- Read five biographies.
- Read five classic books.
- Read at least thirty new books total.
- Watch 5 documentaries.
- Go to bed at 10 p.m. every night for two weeks.
- Unplug completely for 24 hours (no internet, iPhone, television, etc.).
- Unplug from social media for a week.
- Learn how to tie a tie.
- Find a new workout make it part of my routine to go often.
- Pay my Alpha Phi Alumni dues.
- Attend at least one Alpha Phi Alumni event.
- Donate to Linfield each year.
- Attend at least one Linfield alumni event.
- Vote in a non-presidential election.
- Start collecting something.
- Take a cooking class.
- Perfect a recipe for French macaroons.
- Come up with a signature/go-to dish.
- Try at least 20 new recipes.
- Buy at least 5 cookbooks.
- Brush up on my Spanish.
- Brush up on my Hebrew.
- Brush up on my French.
- Unsubscribe from all unwanted email lists.
- Work hard and get promoted at least once.
- Attend at least two industry related conferences.
- Find at least two industry websites and check them regularly.
- Open a new savings account and set up automatic deposits.
FAMILY & FRIENDS
- Mail a care package to at least two friends.
- Mail a care package to my brother at college.
- Mail flowers to my mom “just because”.
- Mail a gift to my dad “just because”.
- Make someone I love breakfast in bed.
- Make each member of my family at least one awesome personalized present.
- Take my family out to dinner.
- Take my Alpha Phi family out to dinner.
- Write and send a letter to each member of Alpha Phi family (Emily, Jenna, & Sierra).
- Write and send 5 letters to friends and/or family for fun.
- Plan and go on a girl’s weekend (at least one night!).
- Get together with other the other Alpha Phi alums from 2014.
- Stay in touch with friends in California.
- Do something nice for my parents for their wedding anniversary.
- Surprise my parents with a visit.
- Try fifteen new restaurants in Portland.
- Visit three museums.
- Buy a plant and keep it alive.
- Plant a mini herb garden and keep it alive.
- Find a temple I like in Portland.
- Take a staycation in/around the city.
- Go to a Timber’s game.
- Go to a Blazer’s game.
- Go to a Winterhawk’s game.
- Go to at least on theater show.
- See a new Cirque du Soleil when they are in town.
- Try SoulCycle.
- Find a coffee shop in Portland and become “a regular”.
- Find a favorite affordable restaurant in Portland.
- Try something quintessentially Portland.
- Go to the annual Rose parade.
- Go to Voodoo donuts.
- Have a gallery wall in my apartment.
- Decorate my apartment.
- Go on at least 3 new hikes in Oregon.
- Travel and spend a weekend in a new city.
- Travel to a new state.
- Travel to a new country.
- Travel to a new continent.
- Go on a trip with Cameron.
- Go on a trip with Megan.
- Visit my brother wherever he studies abroad.
- Visit my cousins in Hawaii.
- Visit a friend.
- Do a girl’s weekend with my mom.
JUST FOR FUN (9/19)
- Leave a 100% tip for great service.
- Stay up all night and watch the sunrise.
- Spend an afternoon at a botanical garden.
- Visit the zoo.
- Get my hair professionally done for an event.
- Go to a new amusement park.
- Do a polar bear plunge.
- Re-watch my favorite Disney movies from when I was a kid.
- See an outdoor movie.
- See three concerts.
- Get involved in some organization/charity etc. outside of work.
- Volunteer at a fundraiser of some kind.
- Go to an Alpha Phi Red Dress Gala.
- Frame my graduation cap.
- Buy one piece of art.
- Find a new hair dresser I like and trust.
- Try a new haircut.
- Go on a run in the rain and get completely soaked.
- Find a favorite coffee I can make at home.
- Do the Electric Run with friends.
- Find a signature perfume.